Creative Decisions- Justified:)

This is gonna be a long one....

This blog post will be all about my creative decisions within the movie and their justifications in my mind.

Camera placement and shooting
The camera was obviously handheld by the actors for the duration of filming, and I gave them some slight leeway to do as they saw fit with the angles. If they did anything I didn't approve of, we did another take and I gave them some pointers. Most of the shots, with the exception of one, were filmed in landscape rather than portrait mode. Portrait mode gave a little variation, and I was able to play around with the shot in editing. I rotated the clip so it is seen sideways, sort of like a dutch angle to imply the madness and chaos to come later.

Editing
On the cutting room floor, I got my creative juices flowing. I decided to use a VCR overlay throughout the entire opening to emphasize the homemade footage aspect as well as the early 2000s time frame. The Pauses and Plays and Stops are at different times, and there are flickers between them to foreshadow the mental anguish and confusion of the Boy. These memories are obviously tainted and fabricated, as would be revealed and/or inferred from the end of the movie. The style is something that will come full circle at the end of the movie.

Music
I was very, very torn about whether I should include a score underneath the opening. On the one hand, I wanted to heighten the suspense and foreshadow doom, but I didn't want to ruin the homemade aspect. I settled for a somewhat creative decision. I went ahead and put a creepy, eerie score under the video, but lowered the volume substantially. I figure that the audience will not notice the score right away, but what they are unconsciously hearing will make them a little uncomfortable and freaked.

Main Title
The decision to only include the title and not the actors name was easy. I didn't want the audience to see the characters as actors, but rather real people. Similar to the Blair Witch Project, I would wait to reveal the name of my actors until I knew I had made an impact. The lack of music or noise under the title would give the audience yet another dose of an uncomfortable feeling, helping convey the overall tone of the film.

These were my decisions. Some were hard to make, some were easy, but I know I would not change a single one of them in the end. Making these choices were a learning experience on compromise and persistence. This film is my brain child, and I will welcome it into the world with open arms.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Royalty Free Credits!

filming delayed